Saturday, March 22, 2014

Crazy weekend in the Two Lions Mountains

I have a great colleague from my job in the French primary School Rose-Des-Vents, he is Jeff and he knows pretty well the best places to ski and to hike in the mountains around Vancouver.


In the middle of March, we decided to ski in the valley close to the West Lion Mountain.

 We tought easier to ride the bike for the pretty long approach hike. But the path was quite rough and a lot of rocks, so a few before the point where we left the bikes to continue hiking because it was impossible to ride (nether for the return down), I teared my tire and I burst my tire.













So we continue hiking up. But it was raining a lot and we before to get to the first snow, we were wet until the bones.



So it was only 3pm but we decided to install the tent and to shelter inside, to keep dry what left dry... so we spent all the afternoon sleeping, chatting and having a mountain classic dinner (the one you appreciate only if you absolutely need to eat it...)







On Sunday morning we left at 8 and pretty soon we found the snow. So it was much easier and nicer to hike with the skis instead of caring them in the hands. The rain changed in snow, and some hours later it stopped and the sky began to be clear.



We finally arrived at the mountain pass. We took off the skins and I made 2 runs in the powder snow, Jeff made a 3th while I returned back down the mountain to repair my tire... It's very nice to ski in this kind of snow, it's soft and easy. But it's so hard to climb up, and with the bad weather it doesn't help.


After fixing up my bike. We ride down the hill. I was scary that my tire smash again because of the tear, but we arrived safe down back in the civilization...









Unfortunately the shuttle we expected to go back to Horseshoe bay never came. So we did this 11km riding on the big and not nice road from Whistler... 



Arrived at Horseshoe Bay we took a good Tagliatelle before to take the Transit bus back to Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment